Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hot Town Summer in the City

My friend C (an avid Cubs fan) and I met up in St. Louis this weekend to watch the Cubs and Cardinals play. My first trip to Busch Stadium but the thing I remember most is how HOT it was. It was about 96 at 6 pm and we were sweltering just sitting in our seats. But the Cards won, so all was right with the world.

It was actually my first trip to St. Louis at all so we took the time to explore the city a bit. Of course we did the Arch, which provided my best photos for the weekend - both a photo of it and a photo from it! We took a riverboat cruise which turned out to provide some relief from the heat and gave me the best vantage point for my Arch photo. We had our pre-game dinner at Mike Shannon's restaurant and it was great to see the many photos and all the sports memorabilia on the walls. The old courthouse, site of the Dred Scott decision, is beautifully maintained, even if the a/c is sub-par by today's standards.

We also visited Grant's Farm, where the late president lived out the remainder of his life. His house - surprisingly small - still stands and they've built a nice visitor center and museum nearby. Most of the lands are now a small zoo of sorts and we enjoyed the elephant show and the exotic birds show.

We also checked out the St. Louis Science Center which had plenty for young & old as well as a cool OmniMax movie about tornado chasers.

I guess next year we'll return to Wrigley for the annual showdown.

No comments: